View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Thanks for the input guys. I had the indy shop swap the original cat back in. Good news is they only charged me $50, bad news is they never hooked up the oxygen sensor - guess you get what you pay for. After the terrible 1.5 mile drive home in limp mode, I swapped back in the original spark plugs and coil packs - that's when I noticed the connector for the O2 sensor was just hanging loose. Started it up one last time and had some hard codes for misfires on 5 cylinders and and a oxygen sensor fault.

BMW told me that i needed new spark plugs and that "all of the ignition coils were exhausted." They also tested the O2 sensor and said it was faulty and needed to be replaced. I'm not sure if that code was thrown because I drove the car for a mile and a half without the sensor plugged in or because the sensor actually was faulty and I just hadn't driven it long enough to get that code before.

Either way, new plugs, coils, and an O2 sensor installed by BMW seemed to fix everything. The coils and O2 sensor were covered under CPO warranty so that was a relief. I wish I knew what went wrong with the other plugs/coils but maybe I'll just never know...
Appreciate 0