06-08-2023, 11:51 AM   #35
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
FALSE! Please provide something definitive to back up that erroneous statement. Otherwise, you are attempting to refute the scientific community and an entire scientific industry, as well as real world experience.

1. Most or all automotive paint sealants use polymers, such as acrylic or polyurethane, which are scientifically shown to be UV inhibitors. That's why they use them in automotive sealants.

2. Carnauba wax is found within the leaves of Palm trees. These carnauba waxes protect the leaves from damaging UV sun rays, water, and heat, etc. They probably wouldn't survive without it. These natural protective qualities is why Carnauba wax became the industry standard for automotive finish protection and luster, and still is. In addition, synthetic ingredients are added to make the natural carnauba waxes useful and in many instances, giving it even greater UV protection.

The natural components of Carnauba waxes are also used in the cosmetic industry such as Sunscreen for people..."Carnauba wax is partially composed of cinnamates. The rational combination of cinnamates and titanium dioxide has shown a synergistic effect to improve the sun protection factor (SPF) of cosmetic preparations.....Strong UV absorption was observed in diluted suspensions of titanium dioxide after the addition of cinnamates." National Library of Medicine.

3. I was a professional Detailer for 14 years and I've also professionally painted a dozen or more vehicles. I've been maintaining my own vehicles for 40 years. This includes neglecting a few work vehicles over those decades. So, I've seen and dealt with the results of automotive finishes which were cared for and automotive finishes which were neglected on both a personal as well as a profession level.

Sealants and Carnauba Waxes most assuredly help protect your vehicle from damaging UV rays! They are not the Do-All or End-All but they are extremely effective and helpful. First, they offer UV protection themselves. Secondly, they act as a sacrificial layer for the automotive clear coat. Lastly, in addition to car washes they help the clear coat to properly perform it's job as the greatest UV barrier; by effectively keeping the surface clear of contaminants that can degrade the clear coat.

4. Reputable manufacturers offer independent documentation if interested. This was provided to me by Optimum, "Optimum Spray Wax has patented UV protection, see patent 6,685,765 for UV protection that includes independent test results."

Ralph
OK RALPH, carry on with your microscopic layer of UV protection!
Appreciate 0