View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I thought that adapters like you pictured had those orange bits to hold them in place (friction fit to hold it up in the socket while you position the jack or stand) - do those not work, or did you grab a stock photo of a different unit? I got a cheapo solid metal adapter w/o those, and already see the benefit of something to jam in the socket to hold it up in place.
It turns out that the car's jack pad pocket openings are not precise in their sizing. Given what they are, that makes sense when you think about it.

So the reverselogic units don't fit precisely. I have two of them; one doesn't fit perfectly, but it does stay up in the jack pad pocket (at an angle), and the other is just a tiny bit too large and is best held in place by hand while the jack stand is placed underneath it. To get the latter to work, the car needs to be jacked to within (I'd say) about a ½" window so that the jack stand holds the pad in place when placed below it. After doing this a handful of times, I've developed a routine that works reasonably quickly. Still, it will be nice when I no longer have to fool with these things.

I've got the cheapo metal (and plastic) units, too, and it's pretty much the same drill: jack to the right height, put the jack pads one at a time into each of the car's jack pad pockets on a side while slipping each jack stand underneath, and then lower the car the inch or two necessary to drop the car's weight on that side onto the jack stands.

I talked with the manufacturer of the reverselogic units, and his suggestion was this: since his jack pads are a tiny bit too wide, take something like an X-ACTO knife and shave off just enough of the orange silicone plugs to create a snug fit. I've yet to try that. One concern, of course, is that the car's jack pads get replaced at some point, the pockets of the new pads are just slightly larger, and the expensive reverselogic units no longer fit.

If I don't end up pinning or in some other fashion fixing pads into the car's pockets, I may just take the inexpensive jack pads and wrap them with something like Gorilla tape until they're sized to stay in the pockets.
Appreciate 0