View Single Post
      11-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Central Side Jack Points

This past summer, I had a shop install a jack point in the center of each side of the car. Below are photos of the passenger-side jack point.

Before going further, the reason I had these installed was that I like to be able to quickly and easily get my cars up on four jack stands.

As I generally remember it being explained to me, this is the process the shop used to create the jack points:

1) Remove the underbody panels
2) Remove the rocker panels
3) Rivet a pair of shaped-to-fit pieces of flat stainless steel stock to the car’s unibody structure above where the rocker panels sit (I don’t know the length of those pieces, or the number of rivets used)
4) Weld the rectangular stainless steel jack points seen in the photos below to the riveted SS pieces (length: 10”; depth: 0.75”; capped at both ends)
5) Cut slots in the rocker panels so the jack points sit proud of the rockers
6) Cut the underbody panels so the jack points are accessible from below the car
7) Re-install the rocker panels and the underbody panels

I don’t have a shot showing how far away from the car you have to be before you can see the jack points hanging down below the rocker panels. It’s not that far, though, as bright stainless steel stands out against the background of the car’s body color and the shadow cast onto the ground by the car. Personally, I find it kind of cool when I see it while standing away from the car, but another owner might well have chosen to paint the stainless steel flat black or even body color.

This is a shot of the passenger-side jack point up-close from the side: .

This shows the jack point from a quarter-angle below:

And this shows the jack point from below. You can see the opening cut in the underbody panel, as well as the rocker panel sitting above it at the left-bottom of the jack point.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-11-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
ggggbmw432.50