01-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
When you move via camber plates, (top of strut) you do not reduce wheel clearance relative to the strut. They are on a fixed plane to each other. That is how you change the camber, if they were not you would not be changing camber.

The LCA and tension arms are moving the lower point in the geometry forward and out, adding camber and castor. The fenders present there own issue since they live in a completely different static space.
It appears with this upgrade the effect is basically the same as using slightly longer control arms that push the whole thing out slightly. If true, it means the wheel relative to strut geometry remains intact.

Anyway, I placed an order and should be installing the knuckles in about 3 weeks. Will update then.

I want to install the knuckles first, see how it goes, take measurements to see if that also affects castor, and see exactly how much camber I'm going to get, see if there any issues, etc. It it lands me in the -1º45' area, where I want to be with my street car, and if it's more or less symmetrical I may not even need to add the adjustable bush to the control arms. If I have to, I'll do it separately if see the effects of those separately.

PS: The reason I came up with these knuckles in the first place is because it seems I damaged the ones on my car. The car had seen some pretty bad roads and I wanted the dealer to check everything in the suspension. They did and discovered the struts slipped down in the sockets of the steering knuckles by about 5-7 mm, a bit more on the driver's side. I may never find out if it's really the impact of bad roads or someone at one of the indy shops messed up when installing the struts on several occasion I did that. My BMW dealer suggested I should change the knuckles since simply releasing the struts, repositioning them in the knuckles that are probably damaged and tightening them up again would probably result in them slipping again after a while. I said ok. Disappointed at first. Then they asked if I wanted the stock knuckles or the ones that make the camber 30 min less. Now I felt a lot better about it and said oh sure, those are the ones I want since I was ready to install the adjustable control arm bushes to achieve the same effect anyway.

Last edited by x233; 01-22-2017 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0