View Single Post
      01-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
To avoid confusion: it's the knuckle (part 2 in the picture), not the hub (part 10), that gets replaced.

In theory, with this upgrade camber can be altered 3 different ways:

1) changing the angle the hub is placed in the knuckle (this would, in fact, move the rubber closer to the body of the shock absorber and result in clearance issues),

2) moving the shock absorber socket away from the center of the car and closer to the hub and the wheel center (this would put the shock body closer to the wheel center and less so to the tire but still might result in clearance issues),

3) on the knuckle, moving the points where control arms connect to the knuckle inwards, that is away from the wheel and the hub - in this case the shock absorber, the knuckle, the hub and the wheel are moved away from the center of the car by 30 min as a whole unit and their position relative to one another is not altered, therefore, there should be no clearance issues (relative to the shock absorber but not the fender).

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the following bit of information but I was told by the techs at the BMW dealership that it's the points where control arms connect to the knuckle that are displaced (that is scenario #3) that give -30 min camber. I can only hope they know better. If correct, this would not result in any wheel clearance issues relative to the shock absorber (but, in theory, it might relative to the fender with wider wheels and offsets in the 30s).

When you move via camber plates, (top of strut) you do not reduce wheel clearance relative to the strut. They are on a fixed plane to each other. That is how you change the camber, if they were not you would not be changing camber.

The LCA and tension arms are moving the lower point in the geometry forward and out, adding camber and castor. The fenders present there own issue since they live in a completely different static space.
Appreciate 0