View Single Post
      01-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Camber correction on F22 without camber plates

I don't think this has ever been mentioned before but it may be useful.

A lot of folks complain about excessive wear of the outside of the front tires which is due to the lack on negative camber on the stock car that cannot be adjusted.
As a result those looking to change that either
a) use m3/m4 front LCAs which gives a fixed increase of about 1º of negative camber but also moves the front wheel forward which may result in clearance issues, and
b) use third-party camber plates, which is a way to go if track is your thing, but that results in NVH and some loss of comfort, and wheel alignment may be more complicated than some would be willing to accept.

There is, though, a different way to get both a moderate increase in negative camber and making it adjustable using OEM parts.

First, our cars can be fitted with 3 different OEM steering knuckles.

In addition to what our cars come with from factory there are 2 optional OEM steering knuckles that can give us either a fixed -30 min of camber or +30 min of camber. We, of course, are interested in the ones that make camber half a degree more negative.

For M235i the part numbers are:
31216853651 (L)
31216853652 (R)

For M235iX the part numbers are:
31216856535 (L)
31216856536 (R)

Essentially, these are identical to the stock parts except for the slightly displaced connection points for LCAs and tension struts. These are used by BMW to correct some camber issues in certain situations but in our case they can add 0.5º of negative camber to whatever it was before without moving the wheel forward/ changing caster.

These can be purchased from BMW and installed by the dealer.

Second, in addition to the upgraded OEM steering knuckles we can swap the inner bushings of the lower control arms for adjustable polyurethane things that will give us an on-car adjustability in the range of 1º in addition to the increased by 0.5º negative camber.

Currently, there are SuperPro bushings that can be fitted on the whole range of F2x and F3x cars including M235i and M235iX.

The 2 steps should give us an adjustability of about 1º and a total of up to 1º more negative camber.

In my case the car is lowered on Eibach springs and has about -1.15 front camber. Upgrading the steering knuckles alone is going to make it up to -1.45º, making it adjustable this way I could get it up to -2.15º. (probably more than enough for DD).

Sounds good to me. Especially since this doesn't involve any loss of comfort, NVH, etc., and doesn't make wheel alignment any more complicated than it has to be.

I'm not saying this is the best possible way to do it, and there's a price tag that comes with the upgrade, but because I do not track this car and, therefore, don't need more range of adjustability that only camber plates can provide this is what I am going to do.

PS: it's also possible to adjust caster using SuperPro poly for the front tension struts but that would be a different story.

Last edited by x233; 01-28-2017 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 6
jpnh1424.50
2msport204.00
harma24402.50
koston37.00