Thread: Damper life
View Single Post
      04-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryG View Post
I have a 2014 M235i RWD with 40k miles on it and just started HPDE last year (loved it) and will be doing 3-4 this summer. Michigan is home so the season is short and the roads are bad. In a couple weeks I'll be installing Dinan lowering springs and bump stops, a friend and I will do the work.

Since I'll have all the strut assemblies off it seems like an opportune time do replace the dampers. They only have 40k miles on them and I'd expect them to last another 20-40k, so this would be a preemptive replacement. That, and I'd expect the lowered springs to potentially wear the stock dampers more.

I'm aware that with Koni Yellow or KW v1 I'd lose the EDC function and would be Ok with that - I don't really find that Comfort is that much more comfy than Sport+ anyways.

If I thought the dampers needed replacing soon I'd just do it and not have a post, but I'm curious how much life others got out of their stock ones? And if saving the replacement labor later is worth the extra money now?

Thanks.
Name brand springs are usually designed around the damping capabilities of the stock dampers so as long as your stock dampers are in good working order you are good to go.

Upgrading the dampers at the same time will turn up the handling of your another notch if your budget allows. Koni with Dinan springs will basically be like a KW V1, but with Koni's having higher quality damping.
Appreciate 0