View Single Post
      05-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline_Sex View Post
Thanks for the reply, that is good info. I definitely considered the Bilstein set, but ultimately ordered the ST coilovers due to the mono tube vs twin tube design. I don't plan on tracking this car (unless this N20 blows up and I decide to do something crazy), seems like consensus is monotube will be more compliant cruising around town, in theory at least.

Definitely interested in the F8X arms, looks like a good upgrade for a spirited driver like myself, but looks like it creates some fitment issues as well. Are you on stock wheels?

You mentioned trying different end link lengths. Did you buy adjustable end links or did you source a specific length somewhere?

As of right now I'm thinking I will replace:
F/R strut mounts
Front LCA (TRW)
Front tension struts (TRW)
F/R end links

I'm not sure if anything else is likely to wear/fail in the next 30-50k, or even if replacing any of the above is premature at this mileage? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Looks good!

Actually KW/ST are the leaders in twin tube dampers, Bilstein and Ohlins are mono-tube. The mono vs. twin tube debate is hotly contested; I've had both on multiple cars, street and track, and honestly can't tell a difference. For me what makes a difference is well-matched spring and damper. For the record, I thought my KW's were better than the mono-tube Ohlins, especially on street. In any case, your STs will be a huge improvement over stock.

For the F8X LCA's, you shouldn't have any fitment issues with stock wheels. I run a pretty aggressive 18" 8.5 +45 F and 9.5 +58 rear with a two-finger gap front and rear without any rubbing at all. Keep in mind though that the front will be severely toed out after installation, so a tow to an alignment shop will be necessary unless you feel comfortable adjusting the toe yourself. Again, the additional lowering from the F8X LCA's is in itself a huge advantage since you get to raise the front coilovers, adding about an inch of damper travel.

I use a slightly shorter adjustable front end link set from Turner Motorsports, but you can absolutely use your stock end links. I think I chose the 270mm versions. I wouldn't replace the rear end links, the stock versions are perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0