View Single Post
      05-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline_Sex View Post
Hello! I have a 2014 228i Msport coming up on 80k miles. I've got a set of ST coilovers on order, and I was hoping to get some ideas of what other suspension components I should look to replace while i'm in there. I have read probably every thread in the suspension/brake forum, but haven't found much regarding the wear frequency on some of these parts. My instinct normally would be to just replace everything, but I don't want to spend a ton of money replacing parts that have a good deal of life left.

Also, if I need to replace the control arms and tension struts, I'm considering the M3/M4 upgrade, but worried about wheel/tire fitment when lowered. Will I rub with aggressive fitment? (18x8.5 et35 square with 225/40 front and 245/35 rear) Edit: Just finished reading the LCA/TS thread, and it looks like the answer to this question is a yes. There seem to be less aggressive setups dealing with rubbing issues, so I will probably not go this route.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've experimented with multiple iterations of suspension combinations on my '14 M235i, including Dinan's suspension kit, KW V3's, Ohlins R&T, Bilstein B14, Vorshlag camber plates, different end link lengths, LCA's, and tension struts.

I'm at 82k and found a setup that I think is rather perfect:

Bilstein B14
OE Strut Mounts
F8X LCAs
TRW Tension struts (OE)

- I don't know much about ST other than its relationship to KW, but if they don't work out give the B14's a try. Of all the F22 coilover setups I've tried, they are by far the best.
- Do not get camber plates unless you have a reliable alignment system on hand. Additionally, I found that the additional noises and harshness aren't really worth it, even on track, considering enough camber can be had with F8X LCAs. Why sacrifice comfort if you don't need to?
- F8X LCAs are pretty awesome. They drop the car a bit as well so you'll get more travel out of the front coilovers.
- Your tension struts might be fine, but TRW makes great stuff and the kit is really cheap, might as well do it while you're in there.
Appreciate 0