04-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
So I am also looking at getting a used 228i and then a S1 Dinan. To all who have done it, can you please give me some feedback? Are you happy with the performance? What about reliability? Any maintenance issues?
Thanks,
Since you're in Houston, I assume you have an N20 engine which is what my car has. The performance increase is very subtle,meaning it not going to seem like you have an N55 under the hood. It makes the Comfort throttle setting more responsive and more usable. The power increase is mainly noticeable at higher speeds.Accelerating from say 70 to 100 MPH is effortless. The extra torque is hard to use because the traction control in my MT car limits wheel spin and bogs the engine down during low speed acceleration. Disabling it allows too much wheel spin.
At $1500 I think it is overpriced even with the warranty.If I had to do it over again I would wait until near the end of the factory warranty period and get one of the many less expensive tunes on the market.There is even a flash tune (BOOTMOD3) on the market now that doesn't require removing the ECU, which might be the way to go.

Last edited by Tpeterson; 04-08-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0