BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1010 View Post
Thanks for the insight! So basically, RWD is still funner and has better performance than an AWD even in an automatic M240 convertible?
I am not measuring lateral g's in my assessment, but responding to how the car feels. Every pound of weight is working against you, particularly when placed over the front wheels, inducing more understeer, and the AWD mechanicals making the steering feel "heavier". Some folks say they don't feel the difference. I sure did feel it on an A/B back-to-back test drive. I am more interested in this than I am in pure power, so I took the 4 cylinder (with plenty of capability) to lighten the front end further. Not everyone will agree with this article but I do from almost six years of ownership experience.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106

AWD also interferes with swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 version, which really brings the front end alive and makes the steering more responsive and fun.

Lastly, I didn't buy this car for the track or to set personal best 0-60s against a stopwatch. I bought it for being fun to drive...and avoided a 4 Series coupe for being too big and heavy and not fun to drive. It's also why I chose the manual trans, with full understanding that I will never outshift/outperform the outstanding automatic trans available in these cars. I don't care..having too much fun engaging with the car as is.

Here is my idea of a new fun convertible for you, track handling package, color and all (I no longer see the manual trans option....oh, well!) :

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...vhjlnb/summary
Oh god, this is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. The TRADITIONAL enthusiast!

Dude why don't you recommend the OP buys a fucking Miata RF for 35k? Or a Miata Sport for literally less than half the price? If driving dynamics and "handling and feeeel" and "going sideways" are the most important aspects, as you are averse to raw power, than why go with that 4 cylinder pork-butt overpriced budget bimmer? Haha

P.s. full disclosure, despite my jokes, I adore the 228i; drove one and the lightness is sublime but I still LOVE the raw power more
Appreciate 0