04-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey OP,

You are asking the right questions however in almost every thread like this I find there is this incessant need to take a dump on AWD. This is no different than the M2 vs M240i threads we see all the time: people love to compare cars without accounting for the user experience and the lifestyle of the driver. In your case, you aren't buying to track and you want thrills without working too hard, while having everyday practicality at your disposal should you need it. Am I reading you right? Yes, I hope so!

I have begun to feel that this need to place the RWD over AWD comes from the traditionalist how-daddy-used-to-do mindset than actual performance aspects, and for some reason I find this more pronounced with 2-series drivers than anything else. I assure you, the same applies to the MT fetishists as well, however I tend to give them a pass since having more control over the gear shifts could be a harmless but fun burden, though I personally find it fucking tiring after a while

RWD with an MT will be slower at launches and the juice is hardly worth the squeeze compared to how much effortless joy you can pull from an AWD AT combo. AWD launches, especially in a convertible are ADDICTIVE AF. Period.

Also, you won't be tracking a damn convertible. More than likely you will be running around in suburbia terrorizing hapless soccer moms. You won't be going "sideways" anywhere speedracer. However you will have plenty of opportunities to shoot off from light to light. Get AWD AT convertible and milk those thrills. Have tried carving up backroads with AWD? "Going sideways" becomes tiring real quick as you start wishing your car had that I-got-you-fam planted confidence of an AWD.

There was a thread recently where 2-er drivers were going out of there way, trying really really hard, to prove how "RwD iS juSt aS g0od as Awd in tHe Sn0w". Such bullshit. This thread was 5 pages long or something with mental gymnastics and logic leaps. If you live anywhere you get rainy snowy weather you will be thankful that you have AWD (paired with the right tires of course), and you can still have fun. Put the top down in light (very light!) snow and then tell me

Yes, drivertrain loss is a little bit more, and yes the added weight, especially in a convertible is not welcome, but you are still looking at a car which will EAT any RWD/AT/MT combo at stop-lights, and you will be doing it while the the top is down with style!...

Anyway, get the AWD AT convertible and enjoy it all year round! Eat up RWD/MT traditionalists on every stop light with no mercy.

One rarely sees a deeper misunderstanding of the opposite point of view.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
dradernh4413.00
WolfGTI716.00