View Single Post
      04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
My four previous cars have been xDrive or AWD but for various reasons, in the UK we don't get the option of xDrive on the M235i/M240i.

So when I replaced my 330d xDrive Touring in 2016 with my current M235i Convertible I had no choice but to go RWD and Auto.

The auto argument was won for me with the ZF8 in my previous car: I concluded that in a manual, I'd be happy 20% of the time but unhappy 80% of the time vs with the ZF8 I'd be happy 95% of the time but unhappy 5% of the time. So the ZF8 won (for me). Perhaps you should test drive both options and see how this happy/unhappy ratio would work out for you? I know some people on this Forum would score it very differently.

With the M235i Convertible, I had reservations about to going back to RWD especially as the car goes down to the Alps in the winter for multiple ski trips. So far, in 4 seasons, I've not got stuck or even needed chains. Although I did come close to needing chains this January. What helped with this was getting a proper set of full winter tyres (Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3) and wheels. And retro-fitting an LSD. My conclusion is that xDrive is good for winter snow conditions, but not any advantage on public roads in good weather. xDrive is like most AWD systems in giving you a 'neutral' sort of handling in terms of over/understeer i.e. it's not biased either way. As a long-time AWD driver I'm happy with the RWD oversteer bias on my M235i Convertible and nowadays, with all the electronics, making a mistake is not so deadly as it was on, say, my Lotus Elise 111s.

If you can afford it, I'd say the retro-fit LSD is worth the money. But I know it's not cheap. I got it more for the summer than the winter and the improvement in handling is noticeable. There are a number of good threads on this - worth taking a look.

Last edited by msej449; 04-03-2020 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50