View Single Post
      05-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #30
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Looking good! The photographer caught some of the 2ers best angles, for sure.

Interested on the spring rate that Ohlins is using? If you have the info handy, if not don't worry too much. Do you feel it's damping related, or too soon to tell, still? The factory bushings are poo on these cars, but I doubt it would translate to that much negative feedback, even at the track..

Maybe there's a reason iND went with 50lb lighter springs on the KW CS's for their F22? I'm curious, now...
The published spring rates for the Ohlins are:

Front: 60N/mm or 343lb/in
Rear: 160N/mm or 915lb/in

However, per their recommendation, we swapped out the rear springs for 120N/mm which is 686lb/in.

I can't tell you if it's damping related yet since I haven't gone out to test it out. I am hoping that it is so that it's a cheap fix. The bushings would account for the bump steer but not the issue of the car being unsettled over bumps. Unfortunately, I don't know a ton about how different suspension parts affect the car so I will have to turn to the shop for assistance. They are currently prepping some cars for a NASA national championship run so once they are done with that, I am going to see what their thoughts are. It may require a test/tune day out on the track so that the shop owner can drive the car. He is insanely fast and intuitive considering he only drives a handful of times a year.

All things considered, the car is still faster than I am at this point so I really don't need to rush to spend money only to make incremental improvements. I doubt these little things will drop my times quite like the wheels/tires were able to. But it would still be nice to figure if the solution is cheap/free.

As for the wheels, after some additional reflection, the rubbing isn't really a huge deal. It barely rubs on the front left fender over hard bumps and only rubs the inside on full lock turns. I've never had to go full lock on the track and I rarely go over bumps that would cause rubbing so for track wheels, the 9.5" all the way around is still ideal. That doesn't mean I don't want to go 10" all the way around with a true rotatable square setup! The only factor weighing against going full m235iR body kit and bigger wheels is that I'll have two sets of basically new wheels I will need to get rid of.

Instagram: @Capt_and

Last edited by capt_and; 04-17-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00