View Single Post
      04-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
ddgreens
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235xi

Full screen CarPlay on 2015 m235i

Hey all,
I thought I would share my experience with updating my 2015 m235i to ID6.
First of all, I came from a car that had CarPlay and it turned out I didn’t use it that much. This was a couple of years ago and I mostly used Waze for navigation so it just went unused. It was still pretty cool for my podcasts and music but I found myself not using it most of the time.
Now that CarPlay supports Waze (and others) I wanted to give it a shot again.
I contacted Steve at codemybimmer.com and gave him my VIN so he could check compatibility with my car.
It turns out all I needed was the radio and the wireless antenna.
The parts were on backorder, so I put down a deposit and waited.
Full screen was not available at the time, the team at codemybimmer was still working on it.
I told them if it was available once the parts came in that is what I wanted (I was even willing to beta test it for them).
A few weeks later Steve contacted me and said the unit was ready and they had a working version of full screen
This was a very simple install, it literally was a swap.
I pulled one radio out and put the other in (plus the antenna).
Started the car and everything worked as expected.
I love the new system (ID6) and CarPlay, this is what I think the car was missing (for me).
I did have one problem, a few days after install the screen went black. Everything was working but I could not see anything on the screen.
I emailed Steve and he called me 5 minutes later.
I don’t remember exactly what the problem was, but he gave me a very simple workaround while he worked on it.
The workaround was to hold the power button for 30 seconds. This resets the radio and all works again for a few days.
Steve got back with me and said the newer versions of the firmware tend to cause voltage issues with the screen causing the blackout.
The only options were to flash it back to an older firmware (and lose full screen CarPlay) or to purchase a new screen.
He offered to flash the unit free of charge or do the coding if I purchased the new screen (they don’t sell them).
As it sits now I have ordered the screen and am waiting for it.
The blackouts don’t happen that often and the workaround it very easy so I am still very happy.
All this to say, Steve and the team at codemybimmer are awesome to work with and I highly recommend them. They have answered all my questions quickly and are always willing to help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1