View Single Post
      02-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #240
69-2002on
Rep
Drives: 94 318i

As a former original owner of a red 2002 (which finally died as a race car), I can tell you that while it was ahead of its time as a fun car to drive, it was also a very practical and efficient car as were my subsequent BMWs. We had it before they were known in the USA as performance cars and, trust me it did not look the part either. The last BMW we bought new is a 318i - now with 300000 miles on it.

It's had to stay alive because, frankly, for many years BMW quit making efficient, practical cars that were also fun to drive. The X1 didn't come soon enough so I had to buy another vehicle (we also needed to replace our truck and AWD travel vehicle). I'm happy to say that BMW USA has three vehicles that we would buy now because they are efficient and practical for our future traveling as a newly retired couple. They are the X1, the 320i x drive, and the 328d xdrive. Although I miss the diesel option in the X1 and the manual transmission. I also have to say that this AT is very interesting to someone with our interests - if it is offered with x drive. Our 318i has never been fast but still runs and gets 35 mpg highway. My husband, son and I all fight over who gets to drive it - and at least two of us can still beat the pants off most drivers on downhill curvy roads
Appreciate 0