View Single Post
      05-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #2936
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Should have said “feels like harassment”, sorry. I understand that police are implementing the law. I don’t like the law. Same with the check point. Irritating delay (I’m on the road to get somewhere, not to chat with you), and the law be damned, it feels like an over-reach and illegal search. Again, feeds an attitude toward policing and the law which contributes to where we are today. - and I support the police, am friendly with them when stopped.

There are corrupt police traffic scams (revenue raisers) as well. Some speed traps are set up this way (having nothing to do with public safety), and I’ve seen the “impeding the flow” scam in Taylor, MI in person. That shit has to stop.

As a somewhat normal person (my wife’s opinion notwithstanding), I have been stopped for petty stuff several times in my life. Tail light out, “what’s in the trunk?” Never cited for any of it which makes me think it was an excuse to fish. I always knew about it before being stopped, too, once I was on my way to buy the bulb.
So what you call "petty stuff", like a burnt out tail light might be a minor equipment infraction. But it is grounds for a stop, perhaps the officer stopped you to advise you so that you could get it fixed. There could be other underlying problems that led to it that should be addressed. If someone rear ended you because of that burnt out tall light it might not seem so "petty". The fact that he told you and let you go likely goes to the fact I have mentioned and that you indicated that you are always "friendly with them" when you are stopped.

I agree some places need to take old laws off the books. It's still an offence to drag a dead horse through Toronto.....
Appreciate 2
2000cs3511.50
vreihen1615467.50