View Single Post
      01-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Back in the 'old days' we used to run an Accusump as a cheaper alternative to a dry-sump. Is anybody here using one of these? Can they even be adapted to these new high-tech motors? IIRC, the ones I saw in use were just plumbed into the oil return line from the cooler, and it sounds like the BMWs have a lot of internal routing going on that might defeat that.

And thanks for the WGI vid - I'm already getting stoked for my second season tracking, and it whets my appetite even more.
I have an Accusump plumbed to my oil return line side of the thermostat (top port of OTH). What about the plumbing could possible affect this? Oil gets pumped to the filter first, then it gets pushed through the thermostat, and then it returns to the housing to enter the main oil galley. The oil filter housing is pretty simple. SOME oil is ALWAYS flowing through the thermostat so even on a dead cold nuts start I can use the Accusump to prime the engine with pressure. The only argument that can be made is that the oil will back-flow through the oil filter but that is what anti-drainback valves prevent. A log of oil pressure shows the accusump building pressure (up to 40psi prior to cranking), which is measured right before it goes into the block, so the oil is NOT just dumping back to the pan.

Also, you can run an in-line check valve on the oil return line to prevent the potential back-flow of oil.

I wired a light and switch to the Accusumps electronic valve so I can see when it's dumping oil. This has shown that the oil pressure PID is not as responsive as you might think. BMW either does some kind of smoothing of the data, or, the logging resolution (sensor feedback or OBD limits) just isn't that great. I say this because a log of oil pressure will show 80psi while shifting but the Accusump will dump oil during a shift which indicate it actually dropping below 60psi. Not concerning, but, it shows the oil pressure monitoring may not have the greatest resolution to capture a split second oil pressure loss.

Accusump is a great device but I've still read people popping engines even when using them.

Last edited by bbnks2; 06-06-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00