View Single Post
      01-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #34
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisa9977 View Post
Other cars have no problem with this turn. At this track I drove BMW M3(all generations), almost all Porsche models, Renault Megan RS, Renault Clio RS, VW Scirocco, Nissan GTR, Ferrari 458, Mercedes (a lots of different models), Audi TT and R8, all bone stock and neither of them had any problems after 1000 laps.
I agree with you. N55 oiling system (any street non-M BMW really) is not robust for track use. My 135i N55 starved of oil at Pocono: https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...e-2#post-64723 (Spool Street). I know of an N54 and an N55 that had just blown up at that track within a few weeks of me.

If you've ever torn down one of these engines you'd know the oiling system is weak for track driving. There is no baffle in place and the shape of the oil pan allows oil to slosh forward in roll. The sump really isn't all that deep either and 7qt capacity is relatively small. A deeper oil pan, 2 qts more capacity, and a longer pick up tube would be great start to address this. That is one of the things the N20 race cars are doing.

There is an entire thread in the N20 section dedicated to showcasing oil starvation with oil pressure plotted along side g-force. The oil pan and oil pickup is effectively the same on the N20 engine as it is on the N5x engines just with 2 less cylinders.

Obviously driving style and setup can play a big roll in this. Lots of cars are set up where they are slow-in (understeer on entry) and then the driver is just mashing the gas around the turn.

Even the "semi-dry" system that the M cars use is only rate for up to 1.3g. BMW points this out themselves in the S55 engine PDF.

The B58 did not get any special oil pan or pump. There is no reason to believe the B58 would be any more or less reliable.

Upon rebuild, I personally put in a slight baffle and an Accusump. I may do what another user in my thread posted and hook up an oil transfer pump to the rear of the pan. Should be able to tap the oil pan in place and pump oil from the front of the pan to the rear to mimic the M2 setup. It would be cheaper and easier than sourcing M2/3/4 parts and swapping them in. Dropping the oil pan SUCKS.

Just some food for thought... at 1g oil forms a 45* wedge up the wall of the pan. Now think of how much the oil sloshes at 1.3g...

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-18-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
Dylan861330.00
cxp213313.00
Taskmaster2465.00