View Single Post
      02-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG2A View Post
Prepping for a BMWCCA 2 day event at Road Atlanta with a newly acquired 2017 M240. 6spd. <20k miles - pic at end of post. I was looking at Hawk DTC-70/60 came across PS Track Days pads at StopTech website. Has anyone tried these? There are a few videos (YouTube) about testing at Bondurant and an non-sponsored video of an amateur M3 driver at N Ring on PS4s (traverse.nd2) who said they performed similar to Ferodo DS2500s. ST site had a link to Summit racing , damn inexpensive $88/$77 =$165 total So I bought them along with Motul 660 to test.
If you have an insights based on experience . It would be appreciated Bill
I haven't used them. In response to an email query asking for the pads' operating temperature range, Power Stop tech support says:

"The Track day pads are tested to perform at temps up to 932F."

I used DTC-70s on my M240i and was able to reach the high point of their temperature range on a track with moderate braking demands. My rotors regularly reached 1500-1600°F when measured with brake temp paint. Those are the temps my pads had to manage.

My calipers ran around 375°F, which was too hot for the caliper pistons' dust boots. As a result, they're cracked. I ran the car for 16 track days and don't know when the dust boots started cracking. Probably on the first day.

For comparison, here are a few temperature charts from The Brake Pad Thread (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1355833):

EBC Pads' Temperature Ranges: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=309

Hawk and Ferodo Pads' Mu vs. Temperature Charts: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=215.

I'm most familiar with Hawk's HT-10, DTC-60, and DTC-70 pads. Comparing Hawk's chart to the PS Track Day Pad tells me that the PS is a street/track pad. If you're easy on the brakes, they may be okay; if you're hard on the brakes, I don't see how the pads will hold up.

From previous experience, I knew before I bought my car that it would be too heavy and too powerful for anything less than a full race pad. The data I collected confirmed that for me.

If I were running an M240i with the PS pads, I'd pay strict attention to brake pedal feel. If the pedal got soft, I'd either come in or run a lap or two with little to no braking and see if the pedal had returned to normal. At a two-day event, I would bleed the brakes between day one and day two.

Please let us know how the event goes for you, brakes and otherwise.
Appreciate 0