View Single Post
      07-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
tomwrigleyperformance
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Next up with the weather finally improving I got to test the maps.

Stage 1

This stage 1 package includes:
* Bootmod3 stage 1 ECU re map

Results
0-100 kph = 4.30
100-200 kph = 8.72

Stage 2

This stage 2 package includes :
* Catless 4.5 inch downpipe
* ITG uprated panel filter but retaining the standard air box
* Bootmod3 stage 2 ECU re map

Results
0-100 kph = 4.25
100-200 kph = 8.40

As you can see from these result is absolutely amazing how well the B58 engine in the x40i range responds to tuning, for a relatively low investment you will be getting some absolutely awesome real world performance.

To give you an example a stock F80 M3 will do 100-200kph in 9 seconds a Stage 1 f80 M3 will be around 7.8/8 seconds so this show how fast a Stage 2 m140/m240i can be.

The next step in the journey is a tweak on our stage 2 package, for this we will be writing a full custom file. The tuner I use for all my custom mapping is Paul Johnson (f80paul), Paul has extensive knowledge when it comes to tuning BMW’s and his tunes have become world renowned.

Me and Paul have been working together for a while now and last month we took another step forward together which has meant he has now appointed me as his official home for Paul Johnson tunes in the UK. So far we have achieved some awesome result in the M2c / M3 and M4 S55 world with my own F80 M3 claiming the S55 stock turbo UK record at 5.9 for a 100-200kph pull.

So onto the details about the custom stage 2 map.

Stage 2 custom map

This stage 2 package includes :
* Catless 4 inch downpipe.
* ITG uprated panel filter but retaining the standard air box.
* Bootmod3 licences
* Full custom live mapped Paul Johnson tune
* Optional custom exhaust burble (M4 GTS style, gunshot or flames ect)

0-100 kph = 3.99
100-200 kph = 7.89

The process for writing a custom file is quite a bit more involved than just the stage 2 Bootmod3 map. All of the tuning is still done via bootmod3 but this time the file will be specific for the car and built from the ground up. First Paul will send me over a base file to which I will flash onto the car, once this is on the car we will need to log the car so Paul can see how the car is responding this requires the car to be driven on the road accelerating through 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. This data is then recorded and Paul can view and make changes to suit the car, this processes is then repeated until we have the perfect tune for the car.

The main advantage of live mapping the car on the road is that you can map the car in real world conditions everyone loves a nice dyno figure however I like to ensure that with the power increase you are still able to use it all on the road and get the most out of the car.

Another cool feature I have chosen on my car is the gunshot/flame exhaust burble, although it’s not everyone’s cup of tea I’m really enjoying it. With ALL of my tuning packages you have the option to choose your style of exhaust burbles to suit your personal tastes weather that be no burbles, mild or full on aggressive we have all angles covered.

With the car performing nicely now I am going too to complete a few chassis and styling changes in the coming weeks.

M Performance LSD
MSS springs
Methanol injection kit
XHP gearbox map

———————————————————————————————————————

Next up is methanol injection, I wanted to create at kit that’s totally standalone so it didn’t need a JB4 or anything else to run it.

So I’ve gone for the following:
BMS meth tank
BMW spacer plate
Snow performance pump
Twin BM7 nozzles
Torqbyte CM5 controller

The install was relatively simple, I’m well familiar with meth installs on the S55 and the install on this was much the same.

I will also be creating a fresh custom map with Paul for this setup.

Some pictures of the install

———————————————————————————————————————

So I have had chance to work on the custom pump fuel + methanol map with Paul over the last few days and we have got things dialled in nicely.

With the map 95% complete it’s performing absolutely awesome and achieving some incredible dragy times, with the car in current trim it’s consistently producing low 7 100-200 times. We have a few more things to try could it break into the 6s? I’m looking forward to finding out.

I also did a quick 1/4 mile test.

Appreciate 1
B58togo808.50