View Single Post
      12-02-2023, 10:39 PM   #13
nicholasn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Coupe, '09 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So let's get some precision here. A DTC is a manual transmission that has two clutches running separate gear sets where the clutches are computer controlled. They shift very fast because the work is divided in two.
I see comments like this all the time and it's such a dumb argument. It's like saying AWD is just like RWD except that it also drives the front wheels. Which is to say, it's not.

A manual is manual because you manually actuate the clutch via a clutch pedal/lever, and manually change gears via a physical shift lever going into the transmission (sometimes by way of shift linkage). A DCT actuates the clutches automatically and shifts essentially at the push of a button...you're telling the car to shift, you're not actually shifting.

Quote:
A regular slush box manual, with a torque converter, in a non-high performance car does not shift faster than a well-driven manual transmission. And on the street under agressive driving control a DCT in auto mode can't anticipate what gear the driver wants in advance of the shift.
BMW would disagree given that it is moving away from DCTs in favor of conventional torque converter automatics from ZF. And transmission "anticipation" is a matter of how it is coded and programmed, not really whether it's TC or DCT.
Appreciate 0