06-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I guess I am lucky I don't have prior BMW experience before my M235i, because I don't have anything to compare the steering on my car to a previous beloved BMW, so I don't know what I am missing. The steering on my car seems perfect. It's precise and the car goes without hesitation wherever I point it. My previous car was a MINI Cooper S (also with electric assist) and before that a Chrysler Sebring convertible, a Honda CRV and a variety of other family vans and trucksters. Clearly I am happy with what I have with no looking back. Now my 912 steering - that's another story - unassisted, light, direct and the car only weighs 2K lbs, so we can't compare it to any modern car.
You're not really missing anything. I've owned about 14 BMW's since 2001 - and I'm currently on my second ///M4 - and I don't really know what the nostalgia is all about. I've hopped back into E46's and didn't miss anything about it. When I first bought my '15 ///M4, I still had access to my exes '11 128i M-Sport we purchased while together. I jumped between the two cars and much preferred the steering of my ///M4. I tried to like the older car's steering and I tried to find what all of the rave was about, but I just didn't find it to be that great. Low speed turning in the drive-thru put the nail in the coffin. I'll take the new steering any day of the week.

FWIW, I have never experienced the play in the steering wheel while at dead center that other people have mentioned. My F30 335i ///M Sport and both of my F82 ///M4's have felt and performed flawlessly.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50