06-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I guess I am lucky I don't have prior BMW experience before my M235i, because I don't have anything to compare the steering on my car to a previous beloved BMW, so I don't know what I am missing. The steering on my car seems perfect. It's precise and the car goes without hesitation wherever I point it. My previous car was a MINI Cooper S (also with electric assist) and before that a Chrysler Sebring convertible, a Honda CRV and a variety of other family vans and trucksters. Clearly I am happy with what I have with no looking back. Now my 912 steering - that's another story - unassisted, light, direct and the car only weighs 2K lbs, so we can't compare it to any modern car.
This is exactly how I feel about my M240i. Had a 2016 WRX previously and 2007 Carrera S before that. Plenty of other DD type cars as well over the years. Steering on my 2-series is tight, direct, and precise. It has a relatively lightweight feel to it, but still very direct and responsive to steering inputs. My car has the Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires.

It should be mentioned that these cars have BMW's VSS or Variable Sport Steering, which is supposed to lessen the steering effect at higher speeds to increase stability. Still though, I have not noticed an excessive "dead zone" or any odd on-center behavior at higher speeds. Everything is satisfactory over here.