View Single Post
      05-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #12
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
How do you trigger the GoPro to start recording? Can you give some more detail on how you use the GoPro when starting a session, how charging/power supply works over an entire weekend, etc.?
Pretty much exactly what dradernh described.

When mounted on the windscreen, I just swap batteries a couple of times during the day. I have something like 5-6 cheap third-party batteries off Amazon and a charger that charges 3 at a time. When mounted on the rollbar, a usb-c cable from the 12V lighter socket under the armrest.

When starting a session, I ... just press the record button in the pits. And then press it again when I come back in. It's by far not ideal -- maybe a third of the time the battery was dead, the button was a little sticky at the start, I forgot to press it at the end, etc. But video for me is not essential -- it's nice to have every once in a while -- for a particularly good lap, dicey passes, spins, etc. -- but most of the feedback I get is from the data log.

For a brief amount of time I had Harry's controlling the gopro through wifi -- start at the first lap, end in the pits automatically -- but that caused some strange issues where the wifi drained its battery very fast. It has been about a year since I've done that though, maybe it's fixed by now...
Appreciate 0