View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 02:46 AM   #9
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Not having a unit yet, I don't know what our options are in this regard, but I'd imagine that choosing the 1 Series might be a place to start if the 2 Series data streams come up short.
They only have one config* for all F-chasis cars, so presumably the protocol is similar for all the F-chasis ECUs. That one has channels for steering angle and F/R brake pressure. Of course, whether our specific cars broadcast anything on these channels is the unknown bit.

(* technically, and for maximum confusion, there's also one called M235, but that's for the M235iR, which has a completely different ECU from the Bosch units in ours)

Quote:
You mentioned AiM's wonky software, and it is that. I think at this price point we're not really in a position to complain.
Eh, fair. Though that's the exact same software for AiM's MX-series dashes, which cost 4x and are presumably geared more toward pros. Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on it because software is my day job, and seeing something so anachronistic just sticks like a sore thumb.

Quote:
... other users both online and at the track, I'll learn the software well enough to be able to quickly and effectively analyze my laps after each session.
Yes, you can definitely dive reasonably deep, even with few channels of data, it just sometimes takes a few extra SW quirks to get there. If you want to get a head start before buying the dash, I don't mind sharing a few sessions' data files.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00