View Single Post
      09-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
What do y’all think? Just get a set of proper wheels/tires and hit the track in the 2 series?

Or

E36 clubsport style/non-M for the more “raw” approach to learning and less $ on the line?
Lots of things to consider. As others said, the E36 is the smart move, *if you end up going to the track often*. When you go often enough, the sticker price of the car is a small fraction of the overall cost -- most of it's in consumables (tires, brakes, fuel, etc) and repairs. At 500-1000 lbs lighter, the E36 is much more gentle on these.

On the other hand, they way you described it, it's a full built racecar -- no one puts a fire system to impress at cars & coffee, everyone does because it's mandated by a sanctioning body. That means two major things:

- "everything's a consumable". That applies to everything -- the engine, transmission, bodywork, even the frame. Chances are the car has been driven with that mindset and will require similar levels of maintenance. Learning with a street F22, your biggest problems will be swapping tires and brakes (maaaybe pouring oil every once in a while). With a 30-year-old racecar, things like a transmission swap become "just another Tuesday". Good news is, E36 parts are cheap, but you'd still need to spend the time / pay someone to fix it for you.

- getting a full on racecar to and from the track becomes more of a hassle. They tend to be loud, rattly, uncomfortable, no AC, no music, etc. Not to mention, race-level safety only works if your belts are very tight (think, you can't extend you shoulder to reach to the dash) and you have your helmet / neck protection on. Yes, many people drive cars with full race safety on the street, but just be aware it carries more risk when that texting SUV plows through the back of a fancy racecar.

Anyway, not trying to sound too negative about the E36 -- just be aware what you're getting yourself into.

I'd say: do a couple of events with the F22 as is (just put better brake fluid). If you end up more "meh" about the track (like 2-3 events a year), keep bringing your daily, maybe with a few upgrades here and there (camber, better tires, etc). If after these two events, you're reaction is more like "OMG, I'll spend every weekend and every dollar I have on the track!", go for the race E36 before you start the F22 upgrades. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Last edited by msendit; 09-04-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 2