02-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I wouldn't say only "Tesla fanboys" like the tablet design as while they are the originator of the design, its clear that auto industry is following them, and there is a large market interested in that design.

Even with its controversial design MB has already had success with the W223 S-Class and its tablet style interior with 40k orders at launch (more than the beloved W222 at launch). Every automaker from Volvo to Subaru, Ford, Ram, Porsche, Audi, VW, and even BMW is following their lead and removing buttons and switchgear in favor of "touch-capacitive" buttons and large screens for "uncluttered" interiors. As much as we hate it, luxury is now more synonymous with screens and tech than it is leather, wood and metal.
Screens are cheap. As you said Subaru has a big tablet screen and they are not a brand I look to for luxury. All this does is blur the lines between luxury and mainstream offerings from the Japanese and domestics. All auto interiors are going to have big tablets and bright led ambient lighting that distract from that actual luxury touches. This glowing LDC interior has all the ambience of tacky discotheque setting for teenagers obsessed with having a smartphone in their face 24/7.

It's like the big grilles. All automakers are going in that direction and as you can see from this forum there's a lot of detest for it. If you accept that automakers are going this direction because people love this interior then you also have to accept that people love big grilles.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 02-23-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
P111572.00