View Single Post
      09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #24
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltexan View Post
I responded to a post on a different thread but thought I might ask here too. I'm currently trying to spec an order for a new M240i and wrestling with wheel and tire selection.

My concern is I live in North Texas. While those not from here might think of all of Texas as hot and dry, it's not. Spring in particular is wet here. VERY WET. We get our share of thunderstorm driven heavy rain at other times of the year too. And our winters here are short but get cold. I'm not worried about sleet and ice since I won't be driving when we get sleet and ice (real snow is rare in DFW, sleet and ice more common).

But a typical DFW winter will have a week or two of temperatures that barely get above freezing, let alone 40F. Not much precip (unless it's icy in which case I won't take the car out), but cold.

I hate to give up some of the performance of my new car by opting for all weather tires but am I going to have to in order to have decent traction and hydroplaning resistance in extremely rainy Texas spring weather?
When I ordered mine I have intentions of ordering the Perform Summer tires

My sales mgr asked me if I plan to autocross, track the car, drag race it or push the car to it's extremes. I said probably not. He said get the all seasons, the car will still be a rocket, it will handle better in the rain (which get plenty of in Florida) and you'll likely get 3 times the mileage of the Perf tires.

I took his recommendation and do not regret it one bit. The car handles great, is fast as hell and I don't have to worry about what weather I happen to encounter. I acknowledge I do not have the driving ability to get the maximum out of the car regardless if it's equipped with AS or Perf tires.

If you fancy yourself a speed racer and track or competitively race your car, get the perf tires and buy an extra set of wheels and all season tires. Ideally you shouldn't be running the stock wheels anyway if you are concerned about performance as they are boat anchors. Get the best perf tires and the lightest wheels you can afford. Put the all seasons on the stock wheels for the cold weather days.
Appreciate 0