View Single Post
      09-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post

There is just too much to give up with winter tire for 90% of the winter months.
Amen to that. I keep a set of AutoSocks in my trunk in the winter as well. I've never had to use them on my M235 (driven in 4 Kansas City winters), but with my prior RWD G35 on all seasons, they were flat out amazing in 4" of snow, up hill. Way more snow traction than my Alpins have. Getting them on is a bit of a pain and you can only drive on snowy packed surfaces, but they're really only designed for emergency situations which are far and few between in Kansas City.

I laugh at myself and my winter driving "pussification" when I think back to my 5 years of living in Lawrence, KS which has steep hills throughout and I was driving my 1994 Z28 in the snow with 255 width all seasons. I never got stuck. Kitty litter helped me get around when I couldn't quite get going on a hill. My roommate had a 1990 LX 5.0 Stang on all seasons and we called it Snow Cat. It never got stuck and went places it shouldn't.