View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
MichBadger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix vert

Bent wheel advice needed

I hit a severe pot hole a couple of months ago that I thought would leave me stranded with a broken suspension! I kept waiting for the pressure sensor to come on but it never did. The only noticeable result was a bad vibration between 35-45 mph. It actually goes away at speeds faster than that. I finally took the car in yesterday to an independent to see if they check out the car out to make sure I didn’t have suspension damage or a big bubble on the inside of the run flat. Surprisingly the car and tire checked out fine, but they showed me a video of the wheel spinning where it’s obviously out-of-round. They suggested it could be repaired or replaced.

I need some advice as I’ve never had wheel problems on any car I’ve owned. Am I always going to be chasing a slight unbalance with a repaired wheel? Should I just replace it?

Since day one of owning this car, I’ve always felt there was some added vibration that I didn’t like but attributed it to low profile run-flat tires. I currently have the 2017 OEM 436M wheels with 18” tires. Even before hitting the pot-hole, I wondered about going to non-run flats and even to moving to a 17” higher profile tire (is that possible?) to give me a better ride on the Detroit area roads. I did not run dedicated snow tires last winter and did just fine.

What would you all do in my situation? Also, the family has just come back from summer vacation and I told my wife that we needed to be on credit card lockdown for a couple of months. It’s going to be tough to justify throwing $2,000 at a set of wheels and tires.

Lastly, should this be posted in the dedicated wheel and tire forum? I’m not sure how many views it would get over there.
Appreciate 0