View Single Post
      01-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #228
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Drop two cylinders of the Autoexpress article. BMW want the fastest four cylinder car in its segment. They also want the M2 to be the most progressive and dynamic car in its segment as well as the lightest performance car. They want a car that has a soul, unlike the Mercedes-Benz AMG A45/CLA 45 which are soulless to drive.
Now, that sounds promising... but a petrol M2 can't be only the lightest car of its segment, it will not suffice! A petrol M2 has to make a statement as far as car weight is concerned.

I always defended the notion that BMW should not go after Mercedes as far as 4-pot engine power is concerned. Instead, BMW M should achieve AMG babies' performance by an extensive weight reduction program, that's what will make the difference... that's what will turn a petrol M2 special.

If BMW M could achieve that with no more than 300 hp from a 2.0L 4-pot petrol engine, i.e., to match the AMG babies' acceleration times then I would drop the whole diesel idea.

For as much I wanted to believe in that, unfortunately I don't! You see, the Alfa Romeo 4C's EU weight is at worst 1100 kg and its 4-pot turbocharged engine delivers 245 hp for a 0-62 mph acceleration time of 4.5 s with a 6-speed double clutch transmission.

The A45 AMG weighs 1555 kg (is lighter than CLA), its turbocharged 4-pot engine delivers 360 hp through a 7-speed double clutch transmission to achieve a 0-62mph acceleration time of 4.6s .

So, if you limit the M2's 4-pot turbocharged engine to no more than 300 hp and want to achieve 0-62 mph in 4.5s, either you have to reduce the car weight in excess of 100 kg OR in the event of a lower weight reduction you will need a 9 or 10-speed double clutch transmission.

I'm sorry to say it... but it ain't gonna happen guys.

So, I stick with the M2 diesel option... special as it is!!!
Appreciate 0