Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am interested to hear more about the difference between the two. One of my favorite attributes of all the BMWs I have had has been the "heavy" feel to the steering. It matters if you turn the wheel an inch in either direction, because the car actually goes somewhere.

Do you feel as though that is somewhat lost with the electric set up?
Sure hydraulic feels better during "performance" driving but ironically I have electric on my track car and I got used to it fast. At first it felt vague because it'd be so effortless to turn the wheel but once I got used to it, the car felt very nimble. And on track I drive with DSC off and electric steering allows for quicker corrections on track.

And like I said, when it comes to daily driving, I can parallel park very easily with power steering. One hand on the wheel while looking back and the wheel spins with ease. With hydraulic, I really have to crank the wheel when the car is backing up slowly.
Every electric rack I've driven just feels so lifeless. Like you spin the wheel and there's nothing there. I like to feel the road in the wheel, helps you know exactly what the car is feeling and where there is grip.

Technology is just taking all of the skill out of driving a car. DCTs, launch control, vehicle assists, etc. making it more about what car you have than how good a driver you are. No thanks...
+1 the steering on E90 was loads better than F models
Appreciate 0