09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
I'm confused. Carbon helps reduce weight. One of the reasons the M4 has reduced weight compared to the e92 is because of the carbon driveshaft. I would hope an M2 would have a similar build.

I basically want a smaller, lighter M4 with less options. Meaning I want the carbon pieces, the LSD, the custom-built chassis, etc.

Unlike others, I do want a lot of color/interior options. The more the better.
When I think of light cars things like Porsche, BRZ, Miata, Corvette and similar come to mind. Think carbon and fat things like Aston Martin, Bentley and Lamborghini come to mind. Those light cars have little or no carbon, while lazy engineers reach to it for already heavy cars to be able to charge a premium to turn a fat car 1% lighter. Aluminum and high strength steel likely could save the same or at least similar weight at a lower cost.

My ex's Audi A4 had a carbon driveshaft fifteen years ago, and while having lighter drivertrain parts is good, it's not helping the center of gravity. The new carbon roof bow is cool though and I suspect uses like that will continue to permeate BMW's whole line. We already know the weight of the M135i, so the M235i is unlikely to be any lighter, and likely heavier due to the LSD and additional content likely to be standard.
Appreciate 0