09-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
well when i think of 'simple' i think of stripper versions with little or no options. Navigation is one of the more complex options you can get in terms of weight and altering the way the interior looks and feels (electrical wires, idrive, different dash, etc). you may like comfort access and that's fine....but i don't think it qualifies as 'simple'.

i personally really like having Nav and iDrive....so could never buy a BMW without one, but i don't think of them as part of a 'simple' setup. Maybe it's just the word simple that i found questionable!
It think nav makes the interior "look" of the car. Also how many cars above 40k come without navigation as an option? I think BMW realizes whether its a track based car or not if people are spending more than 40k they may want a car that not only looks the part on the interior but plays the part in functionality especially in the USA. I could never own a BMW without a navigation system. It just makes the interior feel and look high end and is extremely useful interior item. BMW knows majority of any "race" car will still be used on the street 98% of the time. If the M3/M4/M5/M6 all come with nav as options or in packages, it will come in the M2 as well.

Simple to me means a few options you as the consumer must have if you are going to purchase that vehicle new. Honestly, it is my only "must have" option in a new M car at least.

So let me try again. I'll take the car in a few ways

1) 6sp, speed clothe, nav, sunroof delete, M performance brakes? - if NOT included I would purchase them (no ceramics)
2) Everything above + comfort access for convenience of a new high end BMW and every day daily driving ... +$500?
3) comfort access + upgraded stereo if price isn't insane ... +$850

Anything past that I simply do not need. If I went to the dealer and found one in the lot and it had leather would I take it? Absolutely if the price is right. Do I necessarily want leather? Nah I dont need it! and definitely do not want a sunroof and heated seats because I dont use both. BUT when you find leather, and heated seats, generally you find it in a package that includes a stupid sunroof as well as other options like "folding mirrors!?" ... Now im at BMW and looking to spend an extra 5k because leather added heated seats, a sunroof deleting my carbon roof (carbon is a must have!), and stupid folding mirrors that look cool? So I walk out empty handed and the next guy who goes in purchases the car and spends the extra money making BMW believe that these M2 cars sell like hot cakes and for an extra 5k (lets say 60K OTD instead of 55K simply because of options I dont want or need - well you dont really want or need them either!)

I just feel like with the 1M they gave us the car and the options the way I suggested above and people ate it up! I hope they keep the platform of options to the consumers in similar fashion for the future M2
Appreciate 0