View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
And BMW as a brand finished 8th overall.

So makes you wonder where BMW gets the reputation that it's cars aren't reliable. Is it the expense of the repairs that eventually happen? Or is it BMWs are problem free while under warranty, but fall apart by 100K miles (This study follows 3 year old cars)?
I believe in the later 2000s, BMW made a decision that they wanted to expand it's market and with it that, needed to step up its game with respect to reliability. The N55 is a prime example of that approach. A lot went into addressing the more significant reliability issues of the N54 in the N55. They reduced complication and the need for coding on simple things like fuel injectors. They also started doing more parts bin sharing. They still have their nagging issues with leaking gaskets and cooling systems that need repairs as the miles pile on, but overall, they improved quality. Repair and parts costs though are still excessively high. There's no reason why a garden variety N55 short block should be $16K or a bare cylinder head $4K. These aren't exotics.

My 2016 M235 has been very reliable and probably one of the most reliable cars I've owned (previously owned almost entirely Japanese cars). With that said, I still wouldn't touch a BMW class that's any higher than a 3 series. All the tech they're cramming in is too much.
georgere585.50
ChrisK4449.00