View Single Post
      08-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #74
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercorbu View Post
Just purchased a 2016 228i M Sport Package Manual clean low mileage. Not a DD. Looking into wheels and tires first.

Need to be able to fit upgraded brakes in the future. Car will be mostly weekender and some track time.

Will a set up like this work with only minor mods? Likely not a direct fit?

Wheels: EC-7, 18x8.5 ET45 Front, 18x9.5 ET58 Rear
Spacers: 5mm F&R
Tires: Michelin PS 4S, 235/40 Front, 265/35 Rear

Thanks for a head start in our research.
First of all congrats on the new 228! The setup you mentioned will be a great fit for your car! You've included the 5mm spacer which is excellent and generally a necessity. The one thing I might mention here is that if you are going with a larger big brake kit in the future, our ET35 EC-7s will give you a bit more spoke clearance because of the lower offset.

The downside with the ET35s is that they will require some additional negative camber in the front with the 235/40s in order to clear your front fenders. The ET45s will clear the 340mm Msport brakes with the 5mm spacer, so they should clear most kits, but we don't have any testing with aftermarket kits for this specific setup. If you have a brake kit in mind, you can send us a template from the manufacturer and we can confirm clearances.
If you are planning on installing aftermarket coilovers that limit clearance in the future, the ET35 wheels might be the better option as well.

As Peter has mentioned, the rolling diameter shouldn't cause any issues. We've have multiple customers run these tire sizes without any problems and the diameter differences are well within our tolerances for recommended setups.

Lastly, I know you are already looking at EC-7s, but for anyone on the fence between ARC-8s and EC-7s I would recommend the EC-7s if you are concerned about brake clearance as their barrel design is slightly more optimized.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 08-11-2020 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Added a note about suspension clearance.
Appreciate 1