View Single Post
      09-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

My Street/Track Build

The purpose of this build was to achieve a good balance between street and track. The car is not daily-driven. Track use will be three events per year, and I'll drive ~50 laps per event. Two events will be at Mid-Ohio, a handling track, and one at Watkins Glen, a high-speed track.

This is what was done to the car:

TC Kline Suspension Kit
Spring Rates: 350 F & 600 R
Camber: -2.6° F & -2.2° R (originally posted as -1.9° F & -1.6° R (see post #13 for explanation))
Toe: 1/32" IN F & 1/8" IN R
Corner Weight: 50.1%
Fender Roll (slight): F & R
Ride Height Drop: -1¼" F & -1" R

Turner Motorsport Aluminum Subframe Bushings

Limited Slip Differential: Wavetrac

Tires: Toyo R888R - 255/35-18 R & 255/40-17 F
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 - 18X9½ ET58 R & 17X9 ET42 F
Spacers: 5MM R
Studs: 60MM M14X1.25 Phosphate-Coated
Nuts: 17MM M14X1.5

Brake Pads: Hawk DTC70
Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF
SS Brake Lines

Harnesses: Schroth Quick Fit Pro 4-Point

Cloth Tow Straps: F & R

Coding: EDC & eLSD Delete

Cost:
Parts - $10,140
Labor - $ 3,200
Tax - $ 735
Total - $14,075

Various Notes:

For me, this is a basic build. It's streetable, and it will be safe on the track. That's all I wanted.

The suspension kit is Koni-based and has single-adjustables up front and double-adjustables in the rear. Double-adjustables up front would have made too much noise on the street.

Post-install, there is some additional noise, but it's not enough that it bothers me - the trade-off has been well worth it to me.

If front roll is unacceptable on the track, an H&R front bar will be installed. [Note: it was installed; reason: I wanted to see how much it would help at the track; while it helped slightly at the track, and NVH-wise it didn't detract on the street, if I had it to do over I'd skip it for price/performance reasons]

The alignment is designed to be used on both the street and the track. Expected tire life on the street is 8,000 miles. By blocking annual track days into a short window, a street alignment could be used for 10-11 months of the year.

I won't run this alignment nor these brakes particularly hard on the track. I built it to show novice and intermediate students the way around the track at my 7/10ths.

Coding was performed remotely by BPM Sport (http://www.bpmsport.com/).

The limited slip differential was supplied by DiffsOnline (http://diffsonline.com/).

A square setup was the goal - the resulting wheel and tire combinations were due to what was available, cost, and fitment issues. The 2 Series is not easy when it comes to fitment.

While the car was in the shop, screens were installed inside the openings in the front bumper cover. This was to minimize the chance of debris coming through and damaging the radiator, whether on the street or on the track.

----------------------

Initial Report

I took the car to Mid-Ohio last month, and I was satisfied with how it handled. That's a track I don't yet know well, and I used the laps to get a feel for the nuances of the corners. For a fairly heavy street car, even one with a suspension and moderate alignment specs, I found the car a real pleasure to drive. I ran with DSC OFF.

What's Next

I'm looking forward to running the car at Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks. I've run many hundreds of laps there and will have a pretty good idea of what the build has accomplished after that event. To see how the brakes fare on that heavy-braking track, I'll put brake temp paint on the rotors' edges and caliper temp strips on each of the calipers.

----------------------

Final Report

I've updated the build with the parts listed below. I think the purpose of each is pretty much self-explanatory.

August, 2019

Central Side Jacking Points - $N/C; details here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1668225

Brake Scoops - $N/C; details here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1670372

October, 2019

H&R Front Sway Bar (Part No. 70878-2) - $839 installed; this is a 28mm bar with two holes of adjustment - it's set on 'soft'

Dinan Elite V2 B58 (Part No. D440-0122) - $1,277 installed

Dinan Cold Air Intake (Part No. D760-0046) - $710 installed

Photos

Last edited by dradernh; 04-06-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 4
WolfGTI716.00
AmuroRay2282.50
LanceM26115.50