View Single Post
      04-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
I doubt that this was a piggyback. As if the engine boosts 20 psi the piggy back tells the ECU it is only doing 15 psi > without knowing the "real" psi how can the ecu record it?
Somehow the story sounds familiar. The 2nd owner updated the ECU (either for a recall or something was not right) and then complained afterwards to the dealer that the car isn't as fast as it was before > then it was discovered after someone looked into it in detail.
BTW I wonder how long logs like this are being stored (as you only have so much memory to store values).

Don't know on the log storage, but I had a Merc Outboard that I bought new. Running my bass boat in shallow water I plugged the cooling intake with some muck and got the overheating warning buzzer. So I shut it down and trolling motored back to the marina where it was flushed out.

Took it to Merc for a service and they ran the engine log and it showed the over heat. Showed for the 9 years I had that boat and motor. They can store a lot of info on a couple of Kb's of data storage.

Whether that applies to cars or not, can't say. But if I were the mfg'er, I'd probably like to have that info stored throughout the car's life for QA and warranty claims..
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50