View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

My carbon spoiler and mirror covers.

Within a few days of getting my new car home I had a plan to personalize it just a bit. I first purchased an OEM rear spoiler. I removed the original spoiler by sawing with dental floss. It's not difficult but you need to be patient and it will use up a lot of floss! The most time consuming process is getting the old adhesive off of the trunk lid. I found the best way was to use your fingers and "roll" it off. Once you get it started it rolls off quite quickly and leaves no residue at all. I placed painters tape on either side of the work area to reduce the chance of marring the paint.

As far as installation, the OEM spoiler only properly fits one way on the trunk lid. The spoiler has an indent in the rear middle section and the base there sits on top of the flat of the trunk surface. The right and left outside sections have a tiny lip on the base which fits over the rounded rear edge of the trunk lid. It's subtle, but carefully placing the spoiler makes for an incredibly smooth and tight transition between the carbon fiber and the painted surface. You can feel the difference. And I've seen several spoilers that weren't done well. Take your time! Once I found the proper position I marked it with tape so I could find it again when I went to stick it down.

I sourced the mirror covers from RW Carbon. I wanted a less expensive version than OEM but I didn't want to order something from eBay overseas. They answered all my questions and shipped really fast. I couldn't be happier with the product. The weave and color of the carbon fiber is an exact match and the install was fast and painless. I just grabbed the mirror cap with my fingers and pulled straight off in a swift tug. Installation is easy and you can see the three main clips and multiple guides that hold it in place.

este65.00