View Single Post
      10-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #853
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Old thread I know, but I'm going through the same research process for how to upgrade the sound in an M240i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmon34 View Post
Things I could use some advice on:

1. Is it worth an extra ~$100 for the N vs XN in the rear?
Generally, no, separates in the back seat aren't worth the additional cost. Tweeters work best at ear level, so one main advantage of the separates is better positioning in the sail using separates vs in the door panel using the coax. In the back package tray, the entire speaker is closer to ear level to start with so it's a moot point.

The other main advantage of the separates is a better crossover (or in Eton's case just a high-pass filter). Some coax manufacturers include a crossover/high-pass filter within the housing but many don't, and I can't tell if Eton does or not. But their separates clearly have a high-pass filter. The result is limiting the frequencies that reach the tweeter (>6k I believe) so it's not being asked to reproduce a frequency that it's not capable of (aor at a minimum not very good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmon34 View Post
2. I've seen lots of conflicting information about the B100XHP crossovers/filters in the thread. Are they needed if I'm planning on keeping the OEM amp?
I honestly believe the Eton manual is wrong on this, maybe it's a translation error? The factory HiFi amp has a Digital Signal Processor (DSP), so the two sub channels get 150Hz and below, while the Midrange/Tweeters get >150Hz. If you switch to an after-market AMP that doesn't have crossovers or a DSP, and it's sending full-range to the speakers, then you want the B100XHP high-pass filters to do what the OEM Amp was doing: block 150Hz and below from reaching the Midrange/Tweeters. If you stick with the OEM Amp, it should already be restricting the frequencies that reach the Midrange/Tweeters so the B100XHP would be redundant. I haven't been able to confirm this yet, maybe I'll email Eton.

Another source of confusion on the crossovers is that the Eton Installation manual refers to installing crossovers when using the separates. In this case, the crossover (again it's actually actually a high-pass filter) is the one that is daisy-chained between the Mid and the Tweeter and is shown in the picture in post #804. So there are two crossovers being mentioned: the one that comes with the B100 W separates and the B100XHP accessory.
Appreciate 0