View Single Post
      08-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #850
Jmon34
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I recently got a 2020 M240i with an HK system and like many others I'm ready to do something to fix the OEM sound. This thread has been an amazing source of information, I just finished reading through the entire thing.

I'm going to start with the center speaker disconnect and code off the ASD as soon as I post this.

I plan on going with the Etons B100W's in the front and either the B100N's or B100XN's in back.

Things I could use some advice on:

1. Is it worth an extra ~$100 for the N vs XN in the rear?

2. I've seen lots of conflicting information about the B100XHP crossovers/filters in the thread. Are they needed if I'm planning on keeping the OEM amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I would use them if you don't use a crossover anywhere else -- say, within an aftermarket amp, DSP unit, etc. They are basically the same thing as the physical crossover units supplied with most other component speaker sets -- which are also optional if you're using crossovers anywhere else.
Quote:
Just to be safe, I would install the Eton filters if you're installing only the Etons (i.e., running off the OEM amp).

Be mindful, however, that if you upgrade the amp, add a DSP, etc. after that, you should not use any similar function on it. It's generally not a good idea sonically to 'double up' frequency filtering, especially when it's likely two types of it: electrical (the Eton part) and electronic (the amp/DSP).

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Nick,

Tried to PM you, but your box is full ...

Sorry for the tardy reply; been busy the past week with work and a few forums.

Question: Do you run an aftermarket amplifier? If you do and it has adjustable high-pass filtering and/or crossovers, you don't need to install the Eton units. As I explained in another post (IIRC) in the Strangelove thread, one should almost never use two sets of crossovers with a speaker array. The crossovers in the amp will almost certainly be better than the Eton ones.

Now: The B100 XHPs are high-pass filters; they are NOT crossovers. All they do is prevent bass frequencies (150Hz and below) from reaching the woofer and tweeter. The OEM amp is already doing this. So, IMHO, there is no need to install them in any situation except if you're running an aftermarket amp without internal high-pass filtering.

Hope this helps ...

... Oh, as for Dynamat: It can only help if installed reasonably well. If you do it, cover the speaker openings and the flat area around those (several inches' worth). But since you've already got the speakers in, I wouldn't go back in to do it unless you have to for another reason.

- Mike
3. Is there any unobtrusive way of getting quality or lossless audio without an AUX port? My preferred music source is Tidal HiFi. I'm running an Android phone with a built in HiFi DAC on the headphone jack and Bluetooth codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, and LDAC. So far the only way I've been able to get music from my phone to the car is Bluetooth connecting on AAC.

Thanks for all the info and any help!

Edit: people might be interested in this too. Built in eq settings in bimmercode that perform much better. I'm going to give it a try later.
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1723637

Last edited by Jmon34; 08-02-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 1