View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
Nomadic
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i Convertible

Ordered wrong stereo - solutions?

Just took delivery a 2020 M240i Convertible. During the ordering process, was primarily focused on color/wheels etc.

Had previously owned multiple other BMWs (128, 323) - all with the stock stereo which I never had any complaints about. Saw there was an option for the HK stereo for $875 and did a quick scan of this forum and saw how poorly reviewed it was so didn't option it.

After the driving the car for a week, I'm shocked at how bad the base stereo is. My wife drove it for the first time yesterday and upon returning the first words out of her mouth were "needs a better stereo!".

Of course I realize now I should have spent more time researching, but it never occurred to me that the standard stereo on a $50k 2020 BMW 240i would sound worse than the standard one on a $35k 2009 BMW 128i. In scouring the forums this week, my guess is I probably would have been content with the HK system, but of course it is too late to change that.

Today I took the car to a local car audio place and they suggested the BimmerTech system, either just replacing the front woofers, midranges and adding tweeters using the HK window sail pieces, or replacing the front speakers and replacing the amp. I was leaning towards doing both until I saw that an aftermarket amp can cause problems when the car goes into service for ECU flashing (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...ght=bimmertech).

I'm looking for a solution that deviates from stock as little as possible to avoid any potential service issues down the road.

Would just replacing the speakers be enough of an improvement to make it worth the $$ and hassle? I'm assuming since the speakers are standard analog, they can't impact any type of BMW ECU reflash attempts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0