View Single Post
      02-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #59
TarzanOfTheApes
Rep
Drives: ND Miata RF

M240i F-Street Setup

Hey All. I’m considering an M240i, and autocross regularly. I’ve read a decent amount about the 235i (and presumably the 240i) having understeer issues in stock form.

Here’s what I’m thinking: 235 section Bridgestone RE71R tires on the stock front 7.5” wheels, and 235 - 255 section Bridgestones on the 8.0” rears. I’d have an alignment done to max out any camber that could help reduce understeer. As I plan to stay in F Street, I cannot use camber plates or LCAs. I figure with the super stiff sidewall of the RE71Rs, maybe the shoulders won’t wear out as much? I’ve read that some people increase front pressure. This is confusing to me. Increasing front tire pressure would seem to reduce grip in the front, hence adding to understeer...

Finally, I suppose I could look into a rear sway bar to reduce understeer if I really needed to. Not a huge fan of this because it would probably reduce overall grip.

Let me know what you guys think. I really want to pull the trigger on an M240i, by if I can’t set it up to be competitive at local autocross events, that’s a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0