View Single Post
      12-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
roku.g9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Will share my 2 cents as this just happened to me this week. My Orignal new car warranty on my 2017 M240i expired in October. CPO warranty still in effect.

I just picked up my car yesterday from a BMW certified bodyshop. Simple rock chips on the front bumper were to be fixed. Elective work on my part.

When I picked it up, the service manager came out and said that while they were "scanning parts" as a part of the repair, he warned me that BMW has my car flagged as having an unlocked DME. He brought it up as an FYI as he thought I was still under new car warranty, but the guy himself has a BM3 tuned G20 and X3M. Super cool guy and just gave me a heads up.

Regardless, he said it wasn't a big deal to BMW. They keep that info on file incase I open a warranty claim, and as others have said, if something were to fail due to the tune BMW wouldn't cover it through warranty. That should be no surprise to anyone.

What's interesting to me is I've taken my car in for service to my BMW dealership multiple times since flashing, maybe 4 visits. My SA never brought it up or denied service or warranty work. I had an oil gasket leak, replacement engine cover, and pads/oil changed through my maintenceplan with no problems. I clearly track my car(lowered, camber plates, elective oil changes, brakes), but they don't give a shit. They've been awesome.

Moral of the story, if you're going to tune be ready for some hiccups. You can't break the factory status of the engine and then expect the factory warranty to cover your elective mods.
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00