05-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #231
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
People act like hybrids and EVs are only for enviro weenies. I have an EV rate with GA Power and while we pay higher peak hours (while I'm at work so little electricity used) I also only pay about 2c/kwh from 11pm-7am which means my wife's volt can go from empty to 50mi range for about .32c

Day to day commute and errand running rarely uses more than a "tank" of electrons so before we started using her car to drive to blue ridge every 2 weeks she would go 3200mi on 9 gallons of gas plus the .32c a day (but really probably averages about .15-.20 because she rarely needs a full charge) so even with today's prices we're talking:
36 in gas
18 in electricity
$54/3200mi

That's why we have the car.
The Volt was such a fantastic automobile. Too bad GM's corporate reputation kept people from seriously considering it. Even in gas mode it gets great fuel economy. Compare the Volt to BMW's Hybrid i3 with the motorcycle engine generator and the Volt was the far superior engineered vehicle.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00