VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Don't agree at all, one is merely cosmetic the other is performance related.
If you don't understand the difference between a multi piston caliper & a sliding single piston caliper do some research.
It's simply a cost cutting exercise due to the implementation of an electric handbrake & SOME manufacturers (eg BMW/Mercedes) unwillingness to develop & implement a better solution than simply upping the front brakes stopping power or increasing rotor sizing. Some other manufacturers of performance cars do it properly (eg Ferrari/Porsche).
Yes you can obviously make it work but it's clearly never going to be as good a solution.
ANYONE who can't understand that ask yourself why did BMW feel a need to have multi piston calipers on the rear of the previous F series M cars which were also comparably lighter & less powerful cars…?
Sorry to go off topic but I get tired of the statements by those with zero mechanical understanding that are so willing to swallow & parrot whatever marketing bs they are fed.🙄
I think the one with zero mechanical understanding is you.
We are talking about rear calipers on a street car, since you are so expert you should know what impact this has on performance (nearly zero), the advantage of a multi-piston caliper at the rear is almost irrelevant and it is an unnecessary complication for a street car combined with the e-parking brake (this is the reason, just get informed before you talk randomly). Definitely not something to worry about.
It's funny to read about cost cutting, Bmw could have used more expensive calipers (since they exist) and passed the price onto the finished product and thus onto the customer, but the benefit would have been irrelevant and I thank Bmw for saving me this unnecessary cost (well, in case I had it).
There are much higher performance, heavier and more expensive cars than any Bmw with floating rear calipers, and they brake perfectly.
I have no idea about the final specs of this CSL (I don't even read all the speculation these days, I only trust the official documents that I haven't seen yet), but it is too early to judge.
You only have to drive a G8x to realize how much better it brakes than the F8x's multi-piston rear brake; judging braking performance by the number of pistons in the rear is like measuring manhood by the inches of your tool. Definitely forum bullshit.
Most people wouldn't even know they have a floating caliper at the rear if someone didn't tell them.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25153.00