05-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum. I just picked up my first BMW a 2016 BMW 228i RWD 8AT a little over two months ago and now has 37.1k miles. I didn't know there were two different engines until after purchasing unfortunately I ended up with the N26 and realized the possibility of modding is a lot more limited than the N20. I'm not planning on racing or tracking my car or doing anything too crazy this time around. I live in California and most aftermarket parts are illegal and I'm no longer able to work on my own car anymore and I leased a car for 4 years so not sure about hot smogs anymore and would rather not have to deal with them in the future.

I currently only changed the iDrive head display to a 10.25" Android display and while still trying to fix poor MPG put in a K&N drop in filter and PEA Fuel Injector cleaner through the gas tank. I just ordered the Bootmod3 Stage 1 OTS and I'm hopping not to go past stage 1 this time. Also wondering about the risks of the TCU tune increasing the torque limits on third and sixth gear. I've had many other modified cars in the past, but this being my first BMW and trying to look stock, I had some questions.

1. Do I need to run colder spark plugs on a Stage 1 BM3 tune with just a drop in filter?

2. How necessary is it to upgrade the charge pipe with a Stage 1 BM3 tune?
I haven't found much information on how much the stock boost PSI is and how much BM3 raises it too.

3. How noticeable the VRSF charge pipe is installed, I can't find any pictures and I'm wondering how obvious is the bung when installed that would cause a visual test to fail in California?

4. How much risk is their raising the torque limiters on third and sixth gear with BM3?

1- datalog and send it to PTF, they'll let you know how your plugs are doing

2- I recommend upgrading the charge pipe with any stage

3- Not familiar with CA laws, but the charge pipe can easily be seen

4- You do not have anything to worry about as long as you are running the recommended maps for your mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0