View Single Post
      09-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #161
pastuch
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Well, it's an old post, but most of it applies.

Answers:

1). I would favor the Morels, followed by the Hertzs and JL Audios. The reason is all three use fabric dome tweeters, which tend to be 'softer' than metal tweeters. I ran Hertz Energy coaxials in my car; liked 'em a lot, and they definitely had a warm tinge to them though I wouldn't call them 'warm' overall.
A note on the Morels: If you can swing it, upgrade from the Maximos to the Integras. Much better quality in the midrange driver on those.

2). I don't, at least for Canada, and Jehnert's distributor list here doesn't list Canada. That said, one of the main U.S. sellers is Musicar Northwest in Portland, Oregon. Might be worth reaching out to it; I'm sure it's been asked about Canadian upgrades before.

3). If you're into hip hop, you will want to upgrade the underseat drivers for sure -- and in light of that, I would favor the SWS drivers over the Jehnerts. Do that first and see how it sounds. If you feel you need more bass, then start considering how to add a dedicated powered subwoofer to the system.

Hope this helps!
I was thinking the same thing about the tweeters. I HATE horn tweeters and I was nervous the metal tweeters in the Focal ISC100 would be too bright/harsh.

I've narrowed it down to (CAD) $158 a pair for the Hertz 100.5 or $260 a pair for the Morel Tempo Ultra Integra. The depth of the Integras is 2"5/16, is that too much for the front doors? Do you really think the Integras are worth $100 more per pair? You mentioned that they would likely have better midrange, how do you know? I don't really know how to read frequency charts/graphs.

Last edited by pastuch; 09-18-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0